Blaze at Plum Brook Golf Course damages structure, golf carts
Wind-fanned flames from a burning golf cart infect the cart barn at Plum Brook Golf Course in Sterling Heights on Sunday causing about $100,000 in damage, the city said in a news release today.
Fire Chief Chris Martin stated the fire began about 7 p.m. after a golfer observed a cart cigarette smoking and took it to the clubhouse. An upkeep individual then took the golf cart to the garage and parked it beside the structure where it ignited and quickly was swallowed up in flames.
Firefighters were sent out to the golf course on a report of a golf cart on fire. The cart quickly became swallowed up in flames and was parked next to a building where golf carts are kept at the course
The winds pushed the flames into the building, which caught fire. The building was a total loss in addition to about 4 golf carts, according to the city.
Nobody was injured.
The blaze was kept away from the clubhouse, and the golf course at 13390 Plumbrook Road is up and running, according to the city's news release.